Songs of the River is performed by the Kirtan (devotional chanting) group of Kashi Ashram, an interfaith spiritual community that practices service, compassion and non-judgement for all and was founded by Ma Jaya Sati Bhagavati in 1976. Songs of the River includes the 40 verse chant of the Hanuman Chalisa. in praise of Lord Hanuman, the Hindu deity of compassion and service. Ma Jaya’s guru, Neem Karoli Baba, told the Westerners who came to visit him in the late 1960’s and early 70’s to learn and chant the Hanuman Chalisa as a sadhana, or personal spiritual practice.
- Kirtan has been sung at Kashi for over 35 years
- Includes the Hanuman Chalisa, the 40 verse ode to Lord Hanuman, the deity of service and compassion.
- Songs of the River was produced by Pandit Mukesh Desai, a master of sound.
- The cover art is all original artwork by Ma Jaya.
- The inside photo of Ma Jaya drumming was taken at Peace Prayer Day in New Mexico
- Ganapati Om (6.22)
- He Mata Durga (11.05)
- Om Namo Bhagavate (7.23)
- Sri Krishna Govinda (9.44)
- Hanuman Chalisa (6.36)
- Kali Bolo (6.23)
Total time 58.49